We caught up with Lerix, an emcee whose musical style is reminiscent of the "Golden Era." Lerix’s music is often compared with hip hop heavy weights like Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul. We talked to Lerix about his latest debut EP New Heights, his early musical beginnings and his goals.
Get to know Lerix and his music:
1. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard it before?
I would describe my sound as eclectic. We all go through ups and down. In life, I try my best to capture those moods.
2. How old were you when you developed an interest in music?
I was 15 years old when I first got into making music. A buddy of mine in high school had a studio in his basement, one day he threw on a beat, I wrote to it and was instantly hooked.
3. What influences shaped your musical style?
I have a cousin that use to spin for a small underground hip-hop radio show in New York. His shows always played more lyrical artists so that style of hip-hop just stayed with me.
4. What are some of your musical goals?
I have simple goals. I just wanna make good music all the time, and hopefully work with other great artists.
5. Can you tell us about your latest project, "New Heights" and how it differs from your previous release "It's a W(Rap) Again"?
New Heights is more like and album than it is a mixtape. It has all original tracks from some really talented up and coming producers.
6. Have you learned any lessons so far and if so, what are they?
Ohh Yeaa! Tons!
The most important lesson, is to work with people are real with you, who work hard and you trust. If you get a team like that, then nothing can stop you.
7. What are your thoughts about mainstream artists who compromise their "persona" to fit an industry template?
Honestly, I just don't get it. I come across artists that are so eager to get approval by the industry, they lose their artistic edge and become afraid to try new things or be different. I can't do that, ever!
8. We ask all the artists we interview, what's the best piece of advice someone's ever given to you?
The best piece of advice I have ever gotten was to get the music to the people. The fans are what truly make or breaks you.
9. Where can our readers catch a live performance? Are you touring at the moment?
I'm currently not touring but me and my team are setting up shows for the coming year. soon as its solidified I will definitely get the word out.
10. Where can we find your music? Online and offline?
You can find my music online at www.lerixmusic.com
About the Author
Questions, comments or suggestions? Contact Christy@disarraymagazine.com