We caught up with the YouTube sensation as she discussed her first time onstage, her current projects and artists she looks up to.
|R&B singer Tanya T6|
1. How long have you been performing? Do you play any instruments?
I have been performing since I was 15. I started out playing the guitar with my dad and I am getting back into it, and I play the keyboard.
2. Who are some of your influences?
My influences are Roberta Flack, Ella Fitzgerald, Deniece Williams and Bone Thugs & Harmony.
3. Are there any artists you look up to?
Yes, I look up to Beyonce, Aaliyah, Mary J. Blige, & Whitney Houston. Those are some of my favorite artists.
4. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard it before?
My sound is versatile. Sometimes I may have kind of a fast “rapping” flow, a melodic flow, or sometimes I bring out this soulful sound. I used what I learned and heard from my influences and made it my own style. When it comes to me as an artist, you don’t really know what to expect because when it comes to music, I like to try different things and I do different types of records.
5. Can you describe your first time onstage?
My first ever performance was at a talent showcase. As they welcomed me to the stage, I was so nervous my mouth became dry and I thought I would forget my lyrics. First few seconds were scary, but as minutes passed I began to ease up because the audience was welcoming and cheered me on. I’ve learned that especially at showcases, some audiences are tough and some are not, and now I am used to that. Either way, I give my performance 110%.
6. How has YouTube changed your life?
Youtube has helped me gain so many supporters and fans as well as labels and music industry reps who look forward to my videos and releases. That’s a great feeling and I am so thankful!
7. Are you working on any projects at the moment?
I just released my debut EP “Pieces” which is available on iTunes!
8. What was it like working with the following artists: 3 6 Mafia, N.O.R.E., KURUPT, Mims, Jae Millz, French Montana, Max B, Mike Shore and Royce Da 59?
It was great working with all these talented artists because for anyone to even get on a record with you, they must believe in you and that they did.
9. What advice did they give you?
If I am in the booth and I am recording a hook for one of them, sometimes they would tell me sound like this or do it like that because they are looking for a particular sound. Its helps to bring me out of the “comfort” level and helps me expand my versatility.
10. Where can we catch you next? Any upcoming shows?
My management team is working on a National tour for 2011 which I am very excited about!
11. What's the best piece of advice someone ever gave you?
Never, ever give up….and I wont.
12. Where can people listen to your music online?
You can find my music on iTunes and on your favorite online digital music store and my website www.thebestoftanya.com
13. Anything else you'd like to add?
Thank you for taking the time to interview me! Special shouts to my team!
"Pieces" Now Available on iTunes!
For more information about R&B singer Tanya T6, visit:
About the Author
Questions, comments or suggestions? Contact Christy@disarraymagazine.com