Every week, we feature a talented individual for our "Artist Spotlight" series and today's interview is with Sarrahh Blank, semi-finalist in the Hollywood RAWards makeup category. Keep reading as Blank fills us in on makeup tips and tricks, everyday looks, must have cosmetic items and transforming a daytime look into a bold nighttime look. Learn about her goals and the lessons she's learned being in the industry.
First off, congratulations on winning a semi-finalist spot in the makeup category! How does it feel to be recognized in this industry?
Thank you!! It is the most amazing feeling ever! Words cannot express the gratitude and happiness I feel. I never thought in a million years that I'd be doing what I love or for that matter, getting recognized for it. I have to truly thank my family, friends, and the amazing people who continue to support me throughout my career and of course, the people who voted for me!
Has your life changed in any way since winning the semi-finalist spot?
It definitely has! I have been getting much more business inquires and people have been recognizing me through my work. My facebook has been blowing up with "adds" from people in the industry as well. It's been really great and such an amazing life-changing experience.
How long have you been a makeup artist and what are some of your goals?
I've been a make-up artist since the moment I was three years old; I could pick up my red lipstick and put it on. [Laughs]. Professionally, I've been in the beauty industry for almost two years now. Some of my main goals would be to open up my own make-up studio, develop my own make-up line, and get the chance to work with the amazing Lady Gaga. The list goes on, I'd love to get a chance to work with Billy B. (Gaga's make-up artist) and Dany Sanz, (The creator of Make-Up Forever). However, my ultimate goal is to inspire others. If I could inspire “one” person to simply follow their dreams I have truly accomplished the biggest goal possible.
Do you have a favorite makeup artist that you admire and look up to?
Of course! I actually have three ultimate favorite make-up artists.
Kandee Johnson – An amazing sweetheart YouTube guru who has taught me everything I know. Since I am self-taught I have learned everything through her YouTube videos.
Billy B – Famously known as Lady Gaga’s make-up artist. This man is simply stunning. He is self-taught, incredibly humble, and just super talented. I can not express my love for this man.
Dany Sanz- The amazing, amazing, amazing Dany Sanz! The creator of Make-Up Forever! She inspires me to go “outside of the box” with make-up and create a painting rather than just the regular basic make-up. She has inspired me to take drawing and painting lessons to further understand the “art” of make-up. I’ve seen this woman paint faces live at IMATS and let me tell you, she is just fabulous and simply extraordinary.
If you could work with anyone, who would it be?
If I could work with anyone, it would be Michael Jackson but sadly, that is not possible. May he rest in peace. The runner-up is Lady Gaga!! I would love to work with Lady Gaga, I feel like I’d be able to just have an amazing time with her and create something totally crazy and fun!
Are there any lessons you learned being in the industry?
I have definitely learned a lot from being in this industry. I have learned to accept the fact that not everybody is going to like my work. Some people might love it and others might hate it. I learned to not take it to heart and to just keep moving forward. I have been able to develop another layer of tough skin. I have also learned to always stay positive no matter what!
What advice do you have for aspiring makeup artists?
There is so much I can say but I will sum it all up as best as I can in "Five Golden Rules."
1. Believe in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself and have confidence in yourself, it will be hard for others to believe in you.
2. NEVER Give up. No matter what anyone tells you. Push yourself to the farthest limits possible. Remember YOU are the only person who knows your own limits. Don't underestimate yourself.
3. Make sure you have business cards. Hand them out to everyone you meet. Literally, you don't know who is sitting right next to you -- it could be a photographer looking for a make-up artist for a Vogue Magazine shoot. You truly never know who is in your surroundings so make sure to literally give your card to everyone.
4. Always be professional. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT flirt with anyone on set. Be on time, sanitize you're hands, make sure your chewing gum so your breath smells good when you are applying make-up on someone, and always have a smile on your face. You love what you do, so make sure you show it.
5. STAY POSITIVE. Sometimes plans can fall a part but remember to always stay positive. Sometimes opportunities are lost and that happens all you can do it move forward. I lost my chance to work with Jermaine Jackson because I didn't respond to an e-mail quick enough, but sometimes life has something else in store for you. Remember, that everything does happen for a reason, cliché, but true.
Tell us a little bit about your favorite makeup looks (for everyday school/work, nightlife, classic pin-up looks and special occasions).
Oh! This is going to be so much fun!
Foundation: Anything that you like that will not break you out. I love Revlon Colorstay Yves Saint Laurents foundation (when I can afford it), Neutrogena, Make-Up Forever HD and Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation. If you prefer tinted moisturizer my favorites are Tarte, Laura Mercier & M.A.C.
Eyes: Either no eyeshadow or very light eyeshadow.
Crease Soba by M.A.C (these are just suggestions you can use ANY colors you’d like)
Eyeliner: A thin cat eye. I use Kat Von D’s tattoo eyeliner in Trooper. I have been recently using Almay’s liquid eyeliner which is a good affordable alternative, though it does come off easier. A good way of making sure it stays on is by putting on gel eyeliner first and a good affordable gel liner is by H.I.P Loreal.
Blush: I LOVE using Tarte’s cheek stain in Blushing Bride. Or any NYX blushes. They are ALL gorgeous! I also love M.A.C’s blushes.! I prefer pink and sometimes I love to bronze it up a little with Laura Geller Baked Body Frosting. The SILKIEST and SMOOTHEST bronzer I’ve ever tried. Also, Laura Geller has some AMAZING baked blushes. I high recommend them!
Lips: My favorite to go lip is a nude lip.
Lip Liner: Subculture by M.A.C
Lipstick: Viva Glam V by M.A.C Or Wet n Wild’s Mega Last Lip Color in Bare It All (902 C)
Gloss (optional): Either clear gloss or Viva Glam V gloss by M.A.C
However, don’t limit yourself. This is just my favorite to go products. Test out what you want to try!
Nightlife: I do the exact same thing as stated above but instead, I can make the crease color a little but darker by adding a darker brown in the V corner and thickening up the eyeliner. I also LOVE to add white eyeliner to my waterline. I love using NYX’s jumbo pencil in Milk. I make sure to add a lot of mascara and add a bit more blush. I sometimes will go with a dark purple lip or a red lip for going out at night. You’ll usually see me with a nude lip from but time to time I will change it up.
I can go on and on explaining what I exactly like to do for special occasions of pin-up looks, but I’ll just leave you with these two looks. I basically stem off of these and for special occasions. I make sure to powder and set my make-up for Make Up Forever HD Powder and Model In A Bottle Spray so my make-up stays set-in all day. I only do that for special occasions, not daily.
What are some tricks/tips to help makeup stay on longer?
- Use Primer. L’Oreal has a really great affordable primer. If you’re looking for something high-end I love Make Up Forever primer and Korres since they’re products are all natural.
- POWDER POWDER POWDER! I love using M.A.C’s Mineralize Skinfinish Natural, it is super light but stays on all day. If I really want my make-up to stay on, I’ll also use some translucent powder such as Make Up Forever’s HD Powder or Laura Mercier’s Secret Brightening Powder.
- Now if I REALLY want to make sure my make-up doesn’t go anywhere, I like to use a setting spray and my favorite is Model in A Bottle. It is AMAZING!
Are there any common makeup mistakes you see that girls should avoid?
Not having enough confidence!! Ladies and gents, put on your make-up and walk the streets of the world like its YOUR runway!
What essential must have items belong in every girl's purse?
-Pepper Spray or Mace (ha)
-MONEY (of course ha).
What is the easiest/quickest way to transform a day look into an outgoing nightlife look?
- Just add a bold lip color and you’re done!
- If you’re not a fan of bold lip colors just create a smokey eye with any black eyeshadow/liner and add a nude lip and you’re ready to go!
What are some cost-effective beauty regimens that can be done at home?
My absolute favorite beauty regimen is using lemon as a whitening enhancer. Lemon has some cool stuff in it like citric acid which can benefit you in SO many ways.
1. Whiten your teeth: Just rub a slice of lemon and rub it around your teeth and you’ve got yourself a whiter smile.
2. Tighten your pores: Squeeze lemon onto a cotton ball or anything that will work, rub it gently around your face and there you go!
3. Brighten your face: Same method as above!
4. Rigid and clean skin: Same method as above!
5. Can make acne scars look lighter: Same method as above!
You can also create a lemon-scrub by adding some organic sugar and mixing it with some water. Use a cotton ball and rub it around your face and you’ve got yourself an easy at home exfoliator. You can use that on your lips as well to exfoliate.
How can people get in contact with you? Where can we see you next?
Personal facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sarah.berjaoui
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/1742444
I will be working with RAW again, so make sure you come out to one of those events! I will be everywhere! To stay updated on what I am doing just follow me on Twitter or check out my Facebook!
Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Just thank you so much for interviewing me! And everybody – keep on smiling!
Event photos by Markus Alexander for Disarray Magazine
All others courtesy of Sarrah Blank (Lookbookla.com, Steven Lam)
About the Author
Questions, comments or suggestions?